The Environment Group consists of a multidisciplinary team of academics, research staff and postgraduates, internationally recognized through the organization and participation in scientific committees of renowned international conferences, technical committees, international research projects and strategic international cooperation in research and innovation partnerships.
The Environment Group aims to increase knowledge and develop robust tools for the sustainable management of natural resources, responding to the challenges posed by the modern society through multi- and inter-disciplinary innovative research. Some key research highlights include:
Protection and monitoring of natural resources
- Characterization, management and protection of natural resources including surface / groundwater, air, soil and ecosystems;
- Development of innovative monitoring solutions to improve air, soil, surface / groundwaters and residues quality, in pilot systems, brownfields and industrial sites.
- Assessment of sources, evolution and impacts of climate change on ecosystems, environmental health and cultural heritage.
Global environmental observation systems
- Development of sustained global environmental observations and open information systems, to monitor and model environmental processes.
Planetary Imaging and Earth analogues
- Identification, characterization and mapping of planetary surface features using image analysis, pattern recognition tools and mathematical morphology;
- Assessment of present-day serpentinization in continental sites, as potential analogues to Mars, and its implication on methane seepage to the atmosphere.
Geohazards, Risks and Prevention
- Improvement of the capacities for forecasting, early warning, and assessing vulnerabilities and impacts of natural hazards such as seismic, volcanic, droughts and floods and technological hazards related with urban, agricultural and industrial activities, as well as risk assessment.
Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta | 2017
S. Li (李姝宁)
Science of the Total Environment | 2016
Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment | 2014
Journal of Seismology | 2013
A.A. Gomez Capera
J.M. Martinez Solares